Sport Relief Swimathon
Friday 21st - Sunday 23rd March
Your entry fee covers the cost of putting on the event only. To really make your Swimathon count, and help transform people’s lives, you’ll need to get sponsored. Luckily though, it couldn’t be easier:
- When entering, you’ll get to set up an online Giving Page which you can use to collect sponsors’ cash easily and securely.
- Tell your sponsors how tough it is, to encourage extra generosity.
- We’ve got top sponsorship tips to help maximise the amount you raise.
- Use our handy sponsorship form to collect sponsorship in person.
About the Swimathon
The Swimathon is part of the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games, taking place from Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd March.
- Over 600 participating pools nationwide, with a Swimathon at the Aquatics Centre in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London.
- Choice of distances: 1.5km (60 lengths of a 25m pool), 2.5km (100 lengths) and 5km (200 lengths), or you can SimplySwim a distance of your choice in any pool, between Thursday 13th and Sunday 23rd March, in your own time.
- You can swim as an individual or as part of a relay team.
- The event is suitable for all ages, with parental permission required for under-16s.
If you have any other questions about the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Swimathon, pop along to our FAQs section.
Things you’ll need
To enter the Swimathon, you’ll need names, email addresses, dates of birth, medical information, T-shirt sizes and emergency contact numbers for everyone you’re signing up, plus parental consent for under-16s. On the day, you’ll need:
- Your session time (which we’ll email to you, and you’ll also find in your sponsorship kit).
- A swimming costume (not too loose-fitting as this can cause drag and tire you out more quickly).
- A towel and some clothes for after the event.
- A good number of sponsors, to spur you on and ensure that your Swimathon effort makes a difference.
You’ll also receive your own swimming cap, on the day of your event. Please note that our swimming caps are made of latex and so should not be worn by anyone allergic to latex.
Go to people you’ve sponsored in the past and ask them to return the favour.
Prepare for your Swimathon
For some top tips to get you into tip-top shape for your Swimathon, dive into our training section.
For Sport Relief 2014 we’ve teamed up with The Swimathon to give you more ways than ever to dive in and help raise money. If Swimming’s your thing, this is the event for you.
The Fun-raisers, from Trowbridge, donned fancy dress and swam a mile as a team for Sport Relief, raising a tremendous £1,350.
This could help to protect hundreds of children in Uganda from the potentially deadly diseases that spread through dirty water, by providing a school with long-term access to clean water.